top of page

Do I Have Recourse if My Constitutional Rights are Infringed Upon in Family Court

If you believe that your constitutional rights as a parent have been infringed upon by the family court system, you may have recourse through various legal avenues. Here are some steps you can consider taking:

Consult with an attorney: Seek the advice and representation of a qualified family law attorney who specializes in parental rights. They can help you understand your legal options, assess the merits of your case, and guide you through the process.

File an appeal: If you believe the court's decision was incorrect or violated your constitutional rights, you may have the option to file an appeal. An appeals court will review the lower court's decision for any errors of law or abuse of discretion.

Request a modification or reconsideration: Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to request a modification or reconsideration of the court's order. This usually requires demonstrating a change in circumstances or new evidence that warrants revisiting the original decision.

Pursue a writ of habeas corpus: In some cases, where there is an immediate concern about the physical custody of the child, you may consider filing a writ of habeas corpus. This legal remedy allows you to challenge the current custody arrangement and request the court to determine if it is proper.

File a complaint or motion for contempt: If the other party or the court is not complying with the existing court order, you may file a complaint or motion for contempt. This can be appropriate when there is a clear violation of your rights or the terms of the court order it's important to consult with an attorney to understand the specific procedures and requirements in your jurisdiction. They can provide personalized guidance based on your individual circumstances and help protect your parental rights.



bottom of page