top of page

What to do if You Suspect Negligence on the Part of Your Attorney

If you suspect negligence on the part of your attorney and want to go back through text messages, emails, and other correspondence to find evidence, here are some steps you can take:

Gather all communication: Collect all text messages, emails, letters, and any other written correspondence you have exchanged with your attorney. This includes documents related to your case, legal advice, and discussions about strategy or representation.

Organize the documents: Sort the documents chronologically and create a system to keep them organized. This will help you easily locate specific communications when needed.

Review the communications: Carefully read through each communication, paying attention to the details. Look for instances where your attorney may have failed to meet their professional duties, acted negligently, or made mistakes that have negatively impacted your case.

Identify potential negligence: As you review the communications, look for signs of negligence such as missed deadlines, failure to provide necessary information or documents, lack of communication, inadequate preparation, or errors in legal advice given.

Consult with another attorney: If you believe you have found evidence of negligence, consult with another attorney to get a professional opinion. They can review the communications and provide guidance on whether they believe there is a valid claim of negligence.

Document your findings: Keep a record of the specific instances of alleged negligence, including dates, details, and any potential impact it had on your case. This documentation will be essential if you decide to pursue a legal complaint against your attorney.

Consider mediation or legal action: Depending on the severity of the alleged negligence, you may want to explore options like mediation or filing a complaint with the state bar association. Legal action, such as a malpractice lawsuit, may be an option if the negligence has caused significant harm or financial loss.

Remember, this is not legal advice. It's always recommended to consult with a licensed attorney for specific legal guidance.



bottom of page