top of page

When Family Court Judges Deny the Constitutional Rights of Parents

When a judge does not allow a safe and loving parent access to their child, it can potentially raise constitutional issues related to parental rights and due process. In the context of law, the U.S. Constitution protects certain fundamental rights, including the rights of to make decisions concerning the care, custody, control of their childrenHere are some constitutional violations that may be relevant in situations where a judge restricts access of a safe and loving parent to their child:

1. Violation of Due Process: Denying a parent access to their child without a fair hearing or the opportunity to present evidence can violate the parent's right to due process under the Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

2. Violation of Equal Protection: If a judge's decision is based on improper factors such as gender, race, religion, or other discriminatory grounds rather than the best interests of the child, it may violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

3. Violation of First Amendment Rights: The right of familial association, protected under the First Amendment, prohibits the government from unnecessarily interfering with the relationship between a parent and child without a compelling reason.

4. Violation of Substantive Due Process: Restricting a parent's access to their child without a valid reason or justification may violate substantive due process rights, which protect fundamental liberties from arbitrary government interference.

5. Violation of Parental Rights: Courts are generally required to preserve the fundamental rights of parents to make decisions regarding the upbringing of their children unless there is clear evidence of harm to the child.

If you believe that your constitutional rights as a parent are being violated by a judge's decision regarding child custody or visitation, it is important to seek legal advice from an experienced family law attorney who can evaluate your case, advocate on your behalf, and help protect your rights through the appropriate legal channels.



bottom of page